Wednesday, February 18, 2009

remembering ...



I am sorry for the lack of updates. Guess there isn't much to say since Tucker has been gone. I can't believe it has been almost two months since we said goodbye. In a way, it seems like it was just yesterday, and in another way, it feels like he has been gone for years. We are surviving. We have good days and sad days. I think that once the weather starts to get nice, it is going to be a new adjustment period all over again. Tucker loved to "roly poly" in the grass (that is, roll around on his back with a huge smile on his face), and once the grass comes back in the spring, it will be hard to look out in the backyard and not see him "roly polying" or see his "roly poly" spots in the grass.

People keep asking us when we are going to get another dog. We have talked about it, but I don't think we are ready yet. He was just such a perfect dog. I think we are both scared of being disappointed (though I know that could never really happen) and comparing every little thing to Tucker. Our hearts are full of love, though, and I would like to think that we will get another dog one of these days.

I have lots of pictures that I need to scan and post here ... just haven't had a chance to sit down and do it. Hopefully in the next couple months.

Just wanted to mention another beautiful golden retriever who lost his battle with hemangiosarcoma on 2/17. His name was Spencer, and he was a therapy dog in California. I am including a link to his blog here ... it is well worth checking out. Our thoughts and condolences go to Spencer's mom and dad, as we know the pain and sadness they are feeling.

4 comments:

Cowgirl said...

Hey...glad you are back posting. It is hard but somehow it has helped me and I hope it will help you. I agree, that there can be no 'replacement' dog. Ours were one in a million. There is no denying that. I too want to open my heart back up to another but I am not ready yet. I think I will know when I am and you will too. Take care. xo gina

I am so sorry about Spencer -- going to his blog now...

ThePainterPack said...

Hi there. I happened across your blog and just wanted to send my condolences. I am a dog lover, having 6 of my own. Three Siberian Huskies, one Lab, and two mutts. Thankfully, I have never walked in your shoes. But my Lab is going on 7 and seems to be getting much slower. So who knows when my time will come. I just wanted to let you know that when the time is right for a new family member, don't think you are being unfaithful to Tucker. He would want you to help another find the same happiness and love. Not everyone can love an animal the way they deserve...but it is obvious that your heart is overflowing. Share it. And rejoice in all that love.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,

I don't know if you remember me, but I posted at the Sumner Group on Yahoo at the beginning of January after my lab mix Chase was diagnosed with HSA. I asked you for info for your Holistic Vet since I am in the Columbus area as well. We ended up going with Jim Carlson at Lifetime Wellness Center for holistic routine, since the doctor you were seeing was out for three weeks doing seminars when we called.

I haven't posted at the yahoo group yet, I just haven't had the energy to, but we lost Chase on Monday - 2/16. He ended up with a huge bleed in his abdomen and we could no longer fight, (he had stopped eating on Saturday, as well as going to the bathroom and his abdomen just kept getting bigger and bigger) so we helped him cross to the Rainbow Bridge. It hasn't even been a week and I thought I was doing okay but I actually broke down and cried today after not crying for the last few days. We haven't gotten his ashes back yet, and I am afraid that will relapse me back all over again.

I am so sorry to hear about Spencer, he was a beautiful boy.

I hope that you guys are doing well, and you will get a new dog when it is the right time. We have two other dogs, and even though it feels weird to only have 2 and not 3, we will not be ready for another dog for a long long time.

Take Care,
Jamie

ingrid said...

Hello.

I'm sorry for your loss. My Indiana died January 10th. (also to hemangiosarcoma) Since it was really just the two of us, everyone keeps asking me when I'll get another dog as well. The thing is - I'll never have another Indiana, I just won't. And secondly, she really just kind of came into my life as a rescue dog, I wasn't looking at the time. So the way I see it, if and when the time is right, another little pit bull will find it's way into my life.
In the meantime I grieve terribly. I understand what you mean about re-adjusting in the spring time. Snow is difficult enough since my girl LOVED the snow, but nice weather will be harder I think to endure.
My heart goes out to you and your family.
-ingrid