Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Two weeks later ...





I picked up Tucker's ashes on Friday (1/2). It was very, very hard. I started crying even before I pulled into the vet's parking lot. Memories of taking Tucker there for the last time flooded my mind. Walking in the front door of the office was sad, as I remembered all the times I took Tucker there. He always loved going to the vet. How many dogs can say that?? He always had a big smile on his face, and everyone at the office loved him. He was never afraid to be there. The vets and staff were always so gentle with him, and I think that really helped him have good experiences there.

When I walked inside, there were a couple people at the front desk. They recognized me and were very kind. One of the vets (Dr. Fu) came out and said how sorry he was that Tucker was gone. He gave me Tucker's ashes in a beautiful wooden box. He also gave me a beautiful clay pawprint (called a ClayPaw) that they got after we left Tucker on his last day. Seeing that pawprint really made me lose it. I just kept picturing them pressing his beautiful paw into the clay after he had already passed. I am so thankful that they gave us that gift. I will always treasure it.

I said goodbye to everyone and left. My heart was breaking all over again. I sat in my car and cried for awhile before I headed home. The ClayPaw still needed to be baked. I was glad that the vet didn't bake it, because I wanted to put Tucker's name and maybe some type of little trinket in it. I just baked it tonight. We have Tucker's box and the ClayPaw on the mantle above our fireplace in our great room. Brian likes to talk to the box in the silly voice that he always used when he talked to Tucker. It is pretty sweet.

I forgot to mention in my last post that I believe in my heart that Tucker sent us a sign on Christmas Eve. We were in the car, driving up to the lake house. It was about 5:15 PM, and it was starting to get dark. It was a grey, dreary day, with a very thick cloud cover. All of a sudden, I got this very strong feeling that Tucker was in the car with us. I felt like he was right behind me, with his head near my shoulder. I even turned around in my seat to make sure he wasn't in the backseat. Then, at that moment, a bright, brilliant orange sunset broke through the clouds in the western sky. It was one of the most amazing, surreal moments I have ever experienced. I felt such a sense of peace and calmness at that moment. I truly believe that Tucker was letting us know that he was okay and that he had arrived safely. I will never forget that moment.

It has been two weeks and one day since Tucker left us. Our house is still too quiet and empty, but we are surviving. Tucker is on my mind and in my heart all the time, and I still cry quite a bit, but I will say that the pain is not quite as raw as it was. I feel that Tucker would want us to be happy and smile when we think of him. I'm not quite there yet, but I believe that I will be one day.

6 comments:

Cowgirl said...

Thank you again for sharing. I know how every moment feels (one week since Cowgirl left) and you are describing it perfectly. The memories are all so bittersweet, just as you say. They are the most exceptional of beings and the fact that they never didn't love us is the miracle. Dog Bless.

Nibbles Treats said...

Your blog couldn't explain the loss any better. I am sorry for your pain. Tucker was a very handsome guy. I think the photo of his on the couch at the lakehouse should be blown up poster size. Remember, this is the job of a dog... to give us unconditional love.

Hugs and licks -
Tinkerbell, Oscar and Tucker

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing again-your blog has brought tears to my eyes. I think of losing my Keelee on 5/22/08 - the emergency vets too had a clay pawprint made before we let her go. I wrote a message on the back after baking it thanking Keelee for the wonderful doggie she was.
Hugs & kisses
Nadine

Anonymous said...

We,unfortunately, do know the pain you're going through. We have experenced it before and will experience it again. It's the price we pay for the prillege, the honor, of being able to share the lives of these wonderful golden gifts from GOD. Thank you for sharing your emotions with it; it must be difficult.
We have a blog buddy that is now preparing for his journey to The Rainbow Bridge.
http://www.blo.stickerdog.com/
-The Bumpass Hounds

Cowgirl said...

I keep visiting your site -- hope you are both doing okay. The moments keep hitting me and it helps a little to touch base. I was cleaning out my fridge today and I found some of Cowgirl's flea meds...need I say more? Not everyone would understand that.

Angel Tucker, Daisy and Leo said...

Your Tucker was a beautiful boy and looks a lot like my Tucker. I loved you list of all the things you loved about him. I can so relate. We came over from Spencer's blog, we are very worried about him.

Heidi, Tucker and Daisy