Monday, December 22, 2008

Goodbye, my sweet, beautiful boy ...



I have been dreading the day when I would have to write this entry. We helped Tucker cross the Bridge this morning. He continued to get worse through the night, and by this morning, his belly was distended, and he could no longer stand up or even lift his head. What a heartbreaking sight that was. We both stayed close to him through the night, almost hoping that he would pass peacefully in his sleep. I called the vet right at 7:30 when they opened this morning, and they told us to come in at 9:15. So, we spent about an hour being close to him and taking in as much of him as we could. Then, Brian got a piece of plywood and layed some towels on it. Our next-door neighbor came over and he and Brian lifted Tucker onto the board. We wrapped a sheet around him and the board to secure him. They carried him out to my car. I drove, and Brian layed in the back next to Tucker (we folded the seats up and put them up against the front seats, so the whole back was open). It seemed like such a long drive to the vet.

When we got there, they brought out a gurney and helped get Tucker onto it. He didn't even lift up his head through all of that. They put us in a room as soon as we got inside. There are three vets in the practice, and we really like all of them. Fortunately, our favorite vet was the one who was with us today. She came in the room and reassured us that we were doing the right thing, because Tucker was not doing well. His gums and tongue were almost the color of his teeth at that point. His eyes looked so tired. Brian and I both knew we had made the right decision when Tucker didn't even flinch when Dr. Douglas used the clippers to shave his paw where the IV needed to go in. He has always been terrified of clippers and always put up a fight when they were turned on. She gave us some of the fur that she shaved off, and she also cut off a tuft of his hair on his ear (it was our favorite hair - so curly!) for us to keep. She inserted the IV catheter and told us that she would give us some time to say our goodbyes.

Then, it was just Brian, Tucker and me. We both said our goodbyes and gave Tucker lots of kisses. I buried my face in his neck because I wanted to smell him one last time. After a few minutes, Brian let Dr. Douglas know that we were ready. She came in and explained what would happen. She would inject some anesthesia (like they use for surgery), which would help Tucker not feel anything. He would become very groggy and out of it at that point, but he would still be able to hear us. Then, she would inject saline, and follow that with a medication to stop his heart. We told her we were ready. She injected everything, and I heard Tucker take his last breath - a soft grunt. I knew he was gone at that point. Dr. Douglas listened to his heart with a stethoscope and confirmed that he had passed. An overwhelming sadness came over me at that moment. My boy was gone. I kissed him and rubbed his paws. He was getting cold already. He looked so peaceful --- just like he was sleeping. We had his favorite blanket on him, to keep him warm. Dr. Douglas hugged us and talked to us for a little while. She was so gentle and kind. Then, she told us to take as much time with him as we wanted, and then we could leave. We said our last goodbyes and walked out of the room. Leaving that room was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I wanted him to trot out of there with me, just as he had done every other time we had been there. Not this time. We walked to the car and drove home.

Walking into the house was so sad. Tucker should have been standing there, waiting for us with a smile on his face, a toy in his mouth, and his whole body wagging. We walked around the house and saw all of his toys, the towel he layed on all night last night, his bed, little tufts of his fur ... it was so painful. We were not ready to let him go. Then again, we never would have been ready. He was the most amazing dog. He taught us so much in his 9 years with us. I feel so proud to be his mama. He made our lives so happy and full. There will never be another dog like him. I still feel like I can hear him breathing or walking around the house. I keep waiting to hear him climb the steps and come sit next to me when I'm on the computer. My heart hurts. I knew this was going to be awful, but I couldn't have imagined how painful it really would be. There is such an emptiness now. He was such a huge part of us. He was just a puppy when we built our house back in June 2000. This whole house is him. There are constant reminders of him everywhere we look. I will love him and miss him every day for the rest of my life.

We decided to have Tucker cremated and have the ashes returned to us. That way, he will always be with us. Back in July when I thought we were going to lose him, I found a wonderful woman on the internet who makes custom pet memory boxes. They are beautiful. She uses stained glass, crystals, pictures of the pet ... anything we want. I am going to contact her in the next few weeks to make a box for us. There is a place in the box to put the ashes, and then they are sealed in there. It will be nice to have that to look at whenever we want. I am so glad that we took so many pictures of him over the years. We have been looking through all of the old pictures quite a bit today. I am glad that Brian stayed home from work ... I would not have wanted to be alone today. He has been cleaning like crazy since we got home ... I guess that is his way of keeping busy. I, on the other hand, haven't felt like doing much. I have been on the computer quite a bit, reading wonderful emails from friends and loved ones who have been so supportive throughout this journey. We will survive, but it is going to be hard for awhile. I just need to keep reminding myself that Tucker lived a long (though not long enough), happy life, and that he is no longer suffering. I would like to think that he is running free and playing with all of the other beloved dogs that passed before him. His body is no longer with us, but his beautiful spirit will be right here with us forever.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

There are definitely no words that I can offer that would help mend your broken heart... I cannot even begin to imagine how difficult it must have been to say goodbye to someone who was so very much a huge part of your life. Bebe and I did not get to know Tucker as well as we would have hoped, but even from the one day at the dog park, I knew Tucker was a beautiful, happy, well-loved Golden. You and Brian have been the best, most loving parents to Tucker, and I'm sure he knew that till the very end. Please continue to remember the wonderful memories you have shared with him, and know that he will never really be gone because he will always be in your memories as much as he is in mine and everyone else who had the pleasure of meeting your wonderful boy. I'm here if you need me - please don't hesitate to call on me if you need anything. You, Brian, and Tucker will be in our thoughts.

Jen O said...

I agree that there aren't words to express how sorry I am for you. It's heartbreaking...but the one thing that's most important is that you loved Tucker and gave him the best life possible. You gave him what every dog wants, love and a family. And in the end you gave him peace and held his hand through it all. So sorry...

Heather said...

beautifully written dear sister. i love you so much!

Heidi, Charlie, and Lily said...

That was so beautiful, and so heartbreaking. I lost my sweet kitty two years ago - he was my first pet, and my first pet that I lost. I still, 2 years later, hear his heavy, clunky, non-cat-like steps around the house. I still look for him when I open a package of pepperoni. Thankfully, those memories stay. I am so deeply sorry for your loss, and hope that the sadness will soon be replaced with the joy of the good memories, and an acceptance of the tough ones.

Sarah McCully said...

I am in tears at this moment. That was so beautiful and so true. I have lost a dog and two cats that were so very dear to me and I can relate to everything you said. The memories and the pictures will make you smile forever. I too liked to play with the ear tuffs of my dog. It is so hard to put into words how you feel when something like this happens to your pet, but you did such an amazing job...it was flawless. I have recently been in formed that my cat of 12 years has been diagnosed with diabetes. We don't know what to expect and your blog is helping me through this. I never met Tucker, but those adorable pictures will stay in my memory forever. Please take care of yourselves and know that so many people are thinking about you through this tough time.

Unknown said...

Beautifully written, Jess. I think putting your thoughts and feelings on paper, so to speak, is such a theraputic process.

As a pet owner/lover, I understand how Tucker played such a significant role in your and Brians lives. You provided tender loving care and Tucker returned it with unconditional love and companionship. There is nothing quite like this bond and I truly believe, dogs are mans (and womans) best friends. The loss is incredibly painful, but to not have this type of experience in your life I think would be more painful. I remember once speaking to a woman at off-leash at Prospect Park (you and Brian have experienced it, in fact, you discovered it before I had a dog)... she told me she had a friend who was very depressed and came to stay with her for awhile and every morning they would go to the park early and watch the dogs play. That experience healed the woman. Going to Prospect Park early in the morning to witness this "dog heaven on earth" still gives me chills each time I experience it. I believe this is where Tucker now is ... running around in a park in dog heaven with lots of doggie friends. He might even get a hamburger up there. :)

Take time to heal and you and Brian take care of each other. As always, I am alwyas here to listen.