Saturday, August 9, 2008

Holistic vet

Well, I have been searching Columbus for a holistic vet, and I found 3. I chose the one who has been in practice the longest, and called this morning to make an appointment. His name is Dr. Donn Griffith, and he has been in practice since 1970. He is a board-certified veterinarian, and has undergone advanced training in acupuncture and other alternative and complementary therapies. I like his philosophy of an “integrated approach to pet healthcare”. He combines alternative medicine with conventional medicine. Some holistic vets reject conventional Western medicine and only use alternative Eastern medicine. Dr. Griffith combines both types for the best possible outcome.

When we first found out that Tucker had cancer, I searched online and found two Yahoo! groups of dog owners facing cancer with their babies. One of the groups is specifically for hemangiosarcoma dogs. I have heard from so many people that holistic medicine has been very effective for those who choose not to go the chemotherapy route (and some who do choose chemo still see holistic vets, for a whole-body approach to the cancer), so that's why I made this appointment. I have read about some very effective herbal medicines that help stop cancer spread, help with liver function, and most importantly, stop internal bleeding when any of those microscopic tumors start to bleed. I figured that it can't hurt to go see this vet, and after speaking with him on the phone when I called to make the appointment, I think I am making the right decision. I am taking Tucker to see him on Monday morning. I will update after the appointment.

2 comments:

SchoolPsyc said...

This is just great. My Alfie gets Chinese herbal meds every day, in addition to his pure 100% wild Alaskan sockeye salmon oil and Glycoflex III. I would not be giving any of these if I was just working with my western medicine based vet. I go to him for specific routine things and my holistic vet for other procedures.

Louisette passion retriever, cat, memory Katanga said...

Hello greeting from 2 others golden in Belgium: primrose 's Dream Cerise and Zitablue du Bosquet Mignon
http://blog.seniorennet.be/louisette/